Yesterday, we traveled to Tucson, Arizona to pick up a crew member from the airport. Her flight was scheduled to arrive late in the evening, so we had to find somewhere to eat dinner. In a group where vegetarians outnumber meat eaters (I know, when does that ever happen), I knew I needed Yelp’s help to find a suitable restaurant that we would all enjoy. I ended up finding this gem: Tucson Tamale Company.
Now, I know most of us will never get to travel to Tucson and eat here, but my love of tamales and love of my meal at this restaurant compels me to tell you about the amazing food served up here everyday. Oh, to be a local and get to enjoy this place on a regular basis…
- Not a huge building, but plenty of seating inside and a patio outside in the back; conveniently located on one of Tucson’s main roads. Our only suggestion would be to add a second restroom.
Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly
- They have separate menu sections for both vegetarian and vegan tamales! This restaurant is a dream come true. I had the Vegan Blue tamale with Squash, Tomato, Onion, and Green Chile in Blue Corn Masa and the Berkeley tamale with Black Beans, Fresh Corn and Spices in Red Chile Masa.
Extreme Value & Service
- For less than $10, I purchased two tamales, the salsa of my choice, a full side of chips and guacamole (the freshest and most delicious guac we’ve ever tasted), and a fountain drink! On top of it, we didn’t even have to wait 10 minutes for our food to arrive, which was great since we were all starving.
- This is one of those restaurants that displays it’s local pride. All along the walls you find artwork produced by local artists that is available for purchase. There is nothing better than a restaurant with a unique vibe like this that makes an effort to break the traditional mold.
- The crew gives Tucson Tamale Company five stars. We walked away full and extremely satisfied. My love for tamales knew no bounds before, but this place blew away even my wildest expectations. This restaurant is a MUST if you are ever in the area.